Sunday, August 9, 2015

Whitehorse - The Second Time Around

July 29th
Max is 32 today! We got to visit on the phone, and I sent him a tribute letter of his birth, and the
powerful love that began then for him, my son, my beautiful boy. He is happy with wonderful
friends who are like family to him, grateful for our family, and for his life with lovely, sweet Diana.
I was 32, giving birth to him, and Mark pointed out that Max has been with me for half my life.

Leaving Dawson City campsite at 9:30 this morn, Mark was feeling more rested, caught up with
the previous distorted night's sleep, so we headed to Whitehorse, still in The Yukon. We packed
up the laundry bag and pillow cases with dirty clothing and sheets, to launder in town, and made
our tinier grocery list (since we will now be hitting towns and markets frequently, vs. prepping for
our ten days in Denali). Still listening through to chapter 12 of the book on tape, Boys in the
Boat, the three hours really sped by. The reader and author have done a fantastic job enabling
one to visualize and feel the crewing excitement and suspension, as well as becoming
immersed in the lives of the central character's life.

Whitehorse feels familiar the second time around, and we lunched and wifi'd at one of the
Canadian Tim Horton's sites. Mark used my phone to trouble-shoot with the Verizon rep, the
inactivity of the Canadian-Mexico phone plan we have through the company. The pin-pointed
problem may be that Mark's phone needs a new sim card, so we transferred the plan on to mine
today. Once I informed all the kiddos about the change, Christine and my neighbor Jan called,
which was timely and good for us to talk to each of them.
 

Camping again in the Walmart parking lot is funny to me. It was late afternoon, and we were
exhausted after me doing laundry, Mark taking care of "M's" needs of dumping, watering,
propane filling and gassing-up, that we chose to stay put in town, rather than finding an
unknown boondocking camp away. We were so tired, we just fell into a nap immediately. That
is the beauty of being in a RV, I must say: instant cozy home wherever you are.

Feeling like getting a bit casually dressed-up, out of my carharts and t-shirt from the day, and
shaking-off the aura from being in a laundro-mat that was not perky with clients, (as some have
been in my past days), I felt refreshed and ready to walk across the street for dinner with Mark,
who had started to feel somewhat lousy again, before lunchtime. Earl's Restaurant had young
waitresses in varied assemblances of black, short dresses, and Mark spotted the only male
waiter in a casual, non-black shirt and jeans, which seemed so double-standardish. The menu
was kind of impressive, and when I saw bibimbap listed, the Korean form of fried rice with
veggies and a poached egg on top, I thought, "All right, perfect," since I was craving veggies
and simple. This was soul-food, too, reminiscent of Mom's cooking. Mark even ventured out,
ordering the same, only with chicken, since he cannot handle tofu, which I did.

Walking in the windy coolness was exhilarating, and we strolled back and to the Starbuck's in
the same shared parking lot as Walmart, for more relaxed time with wifi service. Facebook was
fun, seeing photos that Tyga had shared from Egegik fishing with her family and friends, and
Max's birthday greetings from all and Di. Mark worked on the blogs there, and is catching up
rapidly to my journalling. Tonight, I enjoyed reading through the past week's, and love being
surprised by his wonderful and gorgeous photos he has cropped just so. The blog is now
something I am so grateful we started (after my initial shyness and resistance), since it blasts
the memories back so wonderfully and clearly; otherwise, I know my brain would fade these
experiences and sights into intermittent or permanent oblivion.

The light is fading here in Walmart/RV Land, Mark feels perky and way mo betta now, which is a
relief and lighter spirit-making. On to Skagway and the sea tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment