Sunday, July 12, 2015

Atlin, BC

June 10th


Atlin Lake stay was scrumptious lazing for us, for 2 days. We sat in the sun gazing at this lake and the snow-capped peaks across from us, closed eyes, and got somewhat sunburned that first night, 6/9. Dinner was eaten on the picnic table that first night, and we visited, Mark wanted to hear my journal, and we bedded tired.
 

Yesterday, we lazed, Mark made me coffee to have in bed, while I read---a luxury I loved indulging in. We then thought we were going to take a flat bike ride to the end of the road, to the "Grotto," listed on the map, and then to test the heat at the "public warmsprings." Well, it was not a flat ride up that gravel road, and I swore a bit to myself initially, walking the bike part way, then finally, via Mark's instruction, got back on and paced myself, with my chest almost touching my belly-button, and rarely looking up, and decreased the pedaling rotations once realizing I could, and was surprised when I made it to the flatland.
 

The Grotto was another free Provincial Recreation Site with two camp spaces, next to a pretty creek. Riding away and down the road to the warm springs, where a RV was parked in the meadow, I stripped down to my shorts, put on my aqua shoes to test the waters of the pond, where, in the middle, waters were swirling. I stepped into that spot, where it was lukewarm pleasant, like a warm heated swimming pool, but not hot. Fun though, and a pretty spot of a bond, with a stream leading out of it.

Back at the "M," we relaxed some more, I worked on catching up on my jounaling and correspondence, Mark read his National Geographics and strummed his guitar, and then started his infamous tuna noodle casserole, which we both adore---comfort food one can be sure of.

Finished my thank yous for retirement and Mother's Day gifts, which was very satisfying, and one more thing off my list.

Our new neighbor from Whitehorse, Fay, chatted with us in the windy campsite last night, had had a flat tire a resident near the Warm Bay campground helped her fix. She was a talkative, inquisitive, funny gal, retired, and would be there only for an overnight. Her cat is her duty to return to. She had a great, 12' old fibre-glassed kayak, patched here and there, and was going to tough-out the windy night in her tent, facing the lake. Later that night, close to a still-light 10 p.m., she knocked on "M's" door and looking down at her, she gifted us with a copy of a book, with Yukon hikes, she had discovered an extra of. Very nice and sweet.


Today, we left our beloved Atlin Lake fairly early for Whitehorse, BC, got tires replaced for the trailer at a place Mark had visited 4 years ago, where they did him a favor, so he wanted to return the business; marketed and did laundry, while Mark fulfilled all the necessaries for the RV, e.g. getting water and propane, dumping waste waters. I used to enjoy my down-time at laundromats in San Francisco, Humboldt. It gave me time to write, primarily, and this was full circle now, with this reminiscing.

We were so tired after errands, and decided to camp at the local Walmart. Holy roses, it looks like there are more RVs, like elephants, gracing this parking lot than autos! There are those that look as if the tenants have been squatting here for a time, one with two flat tires and an older model. It's kind of like camping in a rock concerts field, like at The Gorge. Mark laughs at this analogy, while reading emails from Eric, who had a bad flat tire on the Hwy. 101, with mate Angela, on their way to the Benbow Inn, near Avenue of the Giants, via my recommendation. They are on their way to a wedding in Sonoma. Both are fine, but sounded like a scary blowout, with some damage to their fender when it flatted.

Signing off, to watch the second part of Lewis and Clark---can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment